Monday, July 5, 2010

Personal Growth Plan: Week 1

During my undergrad at U of M, I started with a double major in communications. Growing up and being involved in Yearbook and Video during middle and high school created a spark within me to use technology. It was my interest at that time to pursue a career in teaching those classes in a high school setting. After being told that it would take about 7 years to complete the degree, and with being on a 5 year scholarship, I decided to switch my area of focus and drop the double major.

Through my undergraduate studies I was still able to take some communication classes and education technology classes. I put a lot of time into all of our projects and creations because it is something that I really enjoy; therefore, I did quite well in the courses. Every time I went to one of my technology courses, I was excited to go… what were we going to learn or experiment with next?! During my in-service, one of our goals was to incorporate technology into lesson plans. I was able to gain knowledge on projectors (LCD and old school), Wordle, transparency machines (even the 50 year old version that melted the ink onto the transparency), and overall learn how to guide students through the use of technology in a lab setting. One of our staff morning meetings was devoted to technology and Patty Kolinski shared her knowledge that she gained from this course. That is how I originally heard about it and began to become interested in pursuing this degree that I felt so compelled to study in the beginning of my undergrad.

In my first year of teaching, I have grown with my understanding and use of technology in the classroom. The “learning experience” that sticks out most in my mind is when my online grade book had to be reset three times at the beginning of the school year. This was in my two first weeks of being a new teacher and I had stayed up trying to figure the system out every night because progress reports were due. When I was told that it had to be deleted again, I cried. It was that one thing that I had absolutely no control over. That weekend, I spent my entire time re-doing it once more. Luckily, it didn’t have to be deleted again! What this taught me was not to stress out about technology; you just have to go with the flow. If something shuts down and deletes or a system needs to be reset, then people will understand. Deadlines can be extended because people understand. This was one of my most valuable learning experiences with technology because it set me free!

After the first week of class, I feel more excited than ever about the use of technology! I was unsure of how I could really incorporate the technology into the classroom as much as I want to, but it has shown me that it is possible because I have heard form other teachers who have done it. The first week has also shifted my focus of technology into just how beneficial it can be for my students. I had always looked at technology as an engaging and creative tool to use in the classroom. From there, I thought it would benefit different types of learners and increase their understanding of concepts. The class has taught me that there is more to it than that- technology can shape the style of how you teach and think. It can motivate the unmotivated learners and be used to differentiate instruction for all levels of students. The brain power behind it makes my gears spin and spin. What I am now interested now is the re-purposing of technology for the classroom and the grants and funding available for integrating more technology into the classroom. I am also enamored with all of the tools available through Google!

My PGP for the remaining portion of the Summer of 2010:

A. Always try to engage my own mind in creativity (take time to allow myself to process the world around me and the unknown- let it surprise, inspire, and confuse me)
B. Find new tools (such as HootCourse, Edumodo, Google Docs) that can be integrated to further class dialogue
C. Determine ways to re-purpose technologies for the classroom
D. Find websites and programs that provide grants so that grants can be written for technology this summer or throughout the school year.

Foundation for personal growth (remaining MAET and 5 career years):

A. Always be an open and eager learner
B. Question the unknown or the unclear (reach beyond the surface)
C. Develop a guide or brochure with tips for re-purposing technology for the classroom
D. Write grants for school technology
E. Develop a plan for implementing the integration of technology in the classroom
F. Persuade my colleagues that this is the course of action
G. Share knowledge gained as a part of a professional development
H. Become more well-versed in assistive technology

No comments:

Post a Comment