Sunday, July 18, 2010

Personal Growth Plan: Week 3

In reflecting on the past weeks, I have sought direction from individuals who have influenced others:

“Your work is to discover your work and then with all your
heart to give yourself to it.” – Buddha

As I feel that I have discovered my true passion in life, it is now time to commit myself wholeheartedly to it. Committing to converting perspectives and advocating for change will be work that will consume my life- as it should. If I expect people to change, I need to live that change. I need to put myself out there and speak and act in a way that brings positive attention to my cause. I do realize the time commitment that this call for and I accept the challenge.

“One of the deep secrets of life is that all that is really worth doing
is what we do for others."
- Lewis Carroll
Yes, I am one person. Yet, I can help many. There is no such satisfaction as giving of oneself entirely to a cause that is greater than thee. If I go through life and keep my perspective on self, I would feel satisfied. But, I wouldn’t know the pleasure or reward of assisting others if I did not open my perspective to it. This is the window that I need to open others to.

“The mind has exactly the same power as the hands;
not merely to grasp the world, but to change it.” -Colin Wilson

Our minds are powerful and so are our actions. Now that I have the insight, I need to act on it. With my mind, I can be a stimulus for change in others. My first step to being heard is to dedicate myself to changing perspectives within my school. Daily interactions with my colleagues can greatly influence our habit of limited perspective. In those moments or meetings where we are all so quick to complain, I will make it my goal to always find a positive story about student growth that I have observed. The power to changing perspectives is in changing mindsets. They have to see why it is important and have to believe that they are capable of seeing things in a different light. If I create a habit of it, then they are given evidence of how much a change in perspective can alter your work life.

“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing –
that’s why we recommend it daily.” – Zig Ziglar

Even on days when I feel that I am getting nowhere, I need to remember that the battle I am fighting is worth it. I need to keep my motivation constant by remembering why I am doing this. One such is a note that was left on my desk from one of my most challenging students last year. He came into our grade, labeled the “troublemaker”. I refused to see him as that and put a lot of time into developing a connection with him. Throughout the year, it was a constant battle. Some days, it seemed like maybe I finally reached him. On other days, he was cold and shut down. The last week of school, I had a serious discussion with him about his actions and how people perceive him. On the last day of school, when I returned from dismissal, I found a post-it note on my desk. It read, “I am going to miss you a lot Miss Marcotte”. The note was signed from him. To some, they might see it as a simple note, not worth paying much attention to. In my eyes, it was the proof that I had made a connection with him that may alter his future in some way. Although it may be slight, any little positive change is for the better.

Expanding my PLN can also help me to be persistent. Getting in touch with others who have similar beliefs will not only provide me with motivation, but will allow a new avenue to strengthen my message. This in turn will give me a more meaningful message and a louder voice. It will establish my presence of positivity in perspective.

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” - Lao Tzu
As I work towards shifting perspectives and advocating for students, I must continually alter my path. There really is no final destination because there is always work to be done. Once I reach what I believed to be the end result, I need to question the “why”. This will provide me an extended path to continue digging deeper into this problem. I need to be flexible in my plans, realizing that sometimes a diversion from the path is the best way to allow others to join me in my journey.

“Never, never, never, never give up.” – Winston Churchill
Persistence is the key. I cannot allow others to stifle my fire because they are not willing to put the effort in. A little at a time, change is possible. This may take a lot of time, but the end result will be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. You really have a gift for organizing ideas in interesting ways! I appreciated the beliefs in which you grounded this post—your commitment to self-discovery, your dedication to service, your commitment to and enthusiasm for change, and your strong sense of purpose. I would love to hear more about your reasons for deciding to dedicate yourself so fully to working for professional change, the specific changes you hope to catalyze, and how you intend to “put yourself out there.” Your recognition that your PLN can help you to maintain motivation and assist you in crafting a “more meaningful message” while simultaneously amplifying your voice is a valuable one. Your willingness to remain open to learning and flexible in your “travel plans” is even more admirable. In my experience, the strategies you have advocated (developing strong relationships with colleagues, listening carefully to them, and focusing on what is positive) are generally very successful in nurturing the conditions in which change can occur. My favorite quote from your entire post was, “ . . . sometimes a diversion from the path is the best way to allow others to join me in my journey.” I will continue to ponder that one!

    ReplyDelete