Thursday, July 8, 2010

Personal Growth Plan: Week 2

As educators, we all act like cameras. Each of us has a distinct perspective and we have the ability to see the world in a way unique to anyone else. Daily, we take snapshots of our students, hoping to catch them in the best light. Although it may be hard on some days, I believe that one of my best assets as an educator is being able to switch the lens on my camera to do this. One of my passions is to give a voice to students who otherwise have none or have been “side-tracked” to be photographed in only one way. I am able and willing to drown out the voices of colleagues and put all of my faith into a student and let them prove to me that they are what I see them as.

Holding a camera too close to your eye limits your perspective. When we step back from it, or zoom out, we are able to see the bigger picture. In my last reflection, I included fine details in some instances (I was too zoomed in) and in other goals I was quite broad (zoomed out too far). Having thought about this, I can begin to piece the detailed shots into a more holistic picture. In reflecting on my previous personal growth plan, I have noticed that I need to turn my lens into a more clear focus to see what the light is capturing for my future.

Taking my passions as an educator and mixing my experiences with it has provided me with an amazing opportunity. I have the power to expose children to what they can become, or to help them realize what their final portrait could entail. Having worked at a camp for children with special needs for three years, it allowed me to see how impactful a “good lens” is. These children all saw each other in the same light and their energy and faith in each other overflowed. They saw each other, not as one with a limited lens would see them, but with a true lens. Never did they let the exterior affect their interior. This is why one of my passions is to see beyond the surface of a student and to make that connection with students who seem un-connectable. To do this, I want to become more fluent in assistive technology. I believe that I can be the lens filter that is needed to capture these students and others in the best light.

To accomplish this goal, I need to be brave and go for it. I need to know more! My first step is completing this program and receiving my Master's of Arts in Educational Technology. I will gear my research in this program towards assistive and adaptive technology to become more fluent. The second step is finding my voice in this realm. Writing grants for my school and providing professional development related to this topic is a great way to start. I will take advantage of other opportunities provided as well. Re-connecting with the camp that I worked at will allow me to get the "inside scoop" on what is really needed. It is easy to look at the topic superficially: provide resources for special needs students. I want to be the one who looks at it and transforms how others think about it. How can we provide more resources? What resources need to be created? How are families affected and what support could be offered to them? Why is it that our society can define a person by the picture that we see or what we have heard others picture them as? This is where my curiosity lies and I will continue to challenge myself to strive towards these goals and to zoom in or zoom out as needed.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What an influential post! Your camera metaphor was both fitting and frame-shifting in nature. I found your interpretation of your role as a teacher to be particularly striking, "I believe that I can be the lens filter that is needed to capture these students and others in the best light." It is no wonder that you were able to say of your students, "These children all saw each other in the same light and their energy and faith in each other overflowed. They saw each other, not as one with a limited lens would see them, but with a true lens. Never did they let the exterior affect their interior."

    I have already been very impressed by how rapidly you are acquiring the new ideas and information, and by how deeply you are already integrating them into your professional perspective. I have no doubt that as you find your voice, you'll also find that you have very powerful things to say. My question for you is how are you going to use who you are and what you know to get other people to care enough to act in concert with you? I expect the answer to that question will be just as captivating as this blog post was!

    ReplyDelete